Thursday, September 26, 2013

Chameleons

     A big part about modesty is showing everyone Who you belong to. We can see that in 1 Timothy 2:9-10 which is read a LOT when talking aboutmodesty. I mean, modesty is just not really talked about all that much in the New Testament. Or at least not directly anyway. That doesn't meant that it's any less of a big deal, but it's just so simple that it really doesn't need much explaining or repeating. It's pretty simple. Dress modestly. But today I will be talking about blending in with the world.

     It can be so easy to want to blend in with the world. The fashion styles that I'm seeing a lot is super skinny jeens, super tight tops, or super low tops, showing stomachs, short-shorts, short skirts, etc. And, I'll admit, some of those clothes are pretty cute. Like, once there was this dress that I saw at Macey's, and it was in my price range (which like, never happens. EVER.) and it had a simple blue top on it, and then the bottom part was was real pretty, it was cream colored with the same colored lace over it, it was SO PRETTY! But it went a good four inches above my knees. I was pretty frusterated (and then later I saw another girl wearing the same dress, but it went to her knees, and I was a bit frustrated  because I realized that if I had a different body type then I could've totally been able to wear it) but even though it was fashionable, and cute, I couldn't wear it. James 4:4 says, "You adulterous people! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Therefore, whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God."

     Okay, so we all know what enmity is, and if you don't, it's basically means being an enemy towards a person, place, thing, whatever noun you wish to use. Do we really want to be an enemy of God's? Like, an enemy isn't just someone who kinda doesn't like someone else. No! An enemy is someone who hates another person, or who wants to kill them or something Now, we can't really kill God. Kind of impossible. But what do you think nonbelievers are trying to do? Disprove God, right? Kill any thought of Him. Being friends of the world, or even wanting to, is being an enemy of God's. So yes, it can be tempting to buy those cute shorts, even though they don't really cover anything, or, really, this verse applies to every sin, (but since this is a modesty blog, I figured I'd use it to write about modesty) but either way, when we are tempted to do something, and our best excuse is, "But EVERYBODY'S doing it!!" Well, is that really a good reason? It can be easy to want to blend in, but we should profess godliness as we are told in 1 Timothy 2:10. How can we profess godliness if we look just like the world?