Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Another Perspective

     We live in a world where it's all about me. It's all about my views, my dreams, my accomplishments, nothing else. Just me. Not you, just me. This is my life, my rules, I put me first. This is what the world wants us to think. The world wants everything to be about us, and not about others. But have you ever noticed that once people start worrying about themselves more than others, things just kinda fall apart in their lives? God tells us in several passages to treat others with kindness and love, and that we should always put others before ourselves. Even though this can be difficult at times, it still needs to be our priority in life.

     Why do we enjoy movies and books so much? Think about it! I mean, have you ever noticed that chick flicks are really popular, and they're just about random people having their random victories in life, and then we love the characters so much because of it. Why? Because we see and understand his/her actions throughout the movie and relate with them. We see someone cutting in line at Starbucks and we're like, "Hey! Back of the line! Wait your turn!" but in Ms. Congeniality we see the main character do it and we all find it funny. That's because when we watch a movie, we are viewing a single person's perspective on something, where as in real life, we're viewing things from our own perspective. We understand the person in the movie. We are open minded to the subject of the film because we're viewing things from their perspective. You become the character. This is exactly how we should view others. We may not be able to see all of their story, but if we took the time to view things from other people's perspective, then how much better would we treat them? 

     So today I want to challenge you to think before you do anything. Think about why the other person did what they did to you. Think about how you would react in that situation. Think about how you can treat each and every person because the world isn't a big group of people, but a lot of individual people.