Thursday, May 23, 2013

A Good Read

     Just about everyone likes to read. I like to read adventure books. I like Hunger Games, Harry Potter, The Hobbit, stuff like that. I used to read like, 6 books at a time because I couldn't figure out which ones I wanted to read first. But how often do we pick up our Bibles, and just read? I recently fell out of the habit of reading daily, but picked it back up a couple days ago. And you know what? I really enjoy it! A lot of times we can see the Bible as just a big book of rules that we have to follow. It is that, but it's also one big story book. If you read through, you'll learn so much, because the Bible wasn't written as just, "thou shall not do this" and, "thou shall not do that" all the way through. The Bible is full of stories that we can use so we can put ourselves inside that situation. It's written so we understand why things are wrong, or right. So we can sympathies with the characters, and see what a world of sin leads to. Or so that we can see how happy you can be when you have Christ in your life, even if you are being persecuted. Paul showed us that. He said that he was content with everything he had even though he was in prison. Philippians 4:11-12, "Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need."

    So, next time you wake up, or if you're like me and are more awake at night, but can't hold your eyes open in the morning, or maybe if you prefer to read at lunch time, I encourage you to pick up your Bible, and just read sometime every day. You will soon learn that it is the highlight of your day. :)