Monday, December 17, 2012

Necessities

It's December, and Christmas is coming up in just a few days (8 to be exact) and everyone is excited to celebrate the holiday by giving and receiving gifts, seeing family members, and my personal favorite, eating lots and lots of food. :) During thanksgiving, I talked about thankfulness, and I think that now would be a good time to talk about what we actually need in our lives, instead of what we WANT in our lives.

First of all, I'll be talking about what we want. For Christmas, as I'm sure a lot of people do, I have a list of things that I want. Like a new hoodie because I outgrew my old one, some socks, and a few other small things that I've found over the year that I think would be really cool to have. Now, I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with getting things, unless you're greedy about it. But do I really need these things? Of course not! There is not one thing on this earth besides a Bible, and forgiveness from our sins that we actually need. These are the real necessities.

Think about it this way: do you really think that it will be important to your kids, or your grand kids, or our great grand kids what you got for Christmas in 2012? Probably not. But do you think that it will be important to them that you were a Christian? Yes! Of course it is! Because if you become a Christian, then chances are, so will they. Being a Christian is our only necessity, because it's even more important than living, in fact, it's so important, that Jesus died for it. So this Christmas, as you're putting together your Christmas list, please remember what your real necessity is, which is following God. Thank you for reading. :)