Monday, February 3, 2014

Reaching Out

     Okay, so we are told loud and clear in Romans 12:2 to not be a part of this world. This is true. But what about after we've made sure we're not sinning? I mean, the Bible gives us quite a bit of room to do a lot of things. We don't have to stay in doors 24/7 and refuse to have friends or go onto the internet or anything. How are we supposed to evangelize if we can't connect with the ones around us if we do that?

     A lot of people take Romans 12:2 to mean that we have to live our own life style that in no way resembles anyone else's in the world's. Now, don't get me wrong. There should be a clear distinction between Christians and non Christians. When I say that it's okay to have things in common with the world, I don't mean things that the Bible speaks about. Please remember that during this article. 1 Corinthians 9:20-22 says, "(20)To the Jews, I became a Jew, in order to win Jews. To those under the law, I became as one under the law (though not being myself under the law) that I might win those under the law. (21) To those outside the law, I became as one outside the law (not being outside the law of God, but under the law of Christ) so that I might win those outside the law. (22) To the weak, I became weak, that I might with the weak. I have become all things to all people, that by all means I might save some." What Paul is saying here is that, if you're going to go to a group of people to try and convert them, then you're going to have to adopt some of their culture.

     We live in a day with Facebook and texting and Twitter and Instagram and Pinterest, and tv and tumblr, and Vine and YouTube,... must I go on? If you're going into, say, a public school and you want to convert your friends, do you think they'd feel more comfortable if you completely alienated yourself from them, or if you acted just like them in many ways? I think the second one, don't you? So I would like to encourage you not to be hypocritical, or force yourself into situations you don't want to be in, but to realize that it's okay to be part of social media, and popular things of this day and age. You don't have to get a facebook, or a twitter, or any of that. But it's important that, if you're going to win people over, then accepting modern ways can be the first step to showing them that being a Christian isn't what most people assume it is. :)