Monday, March 24, 2014

We Have an Anchor part 1: No One Greater

     Starting today and ending on the 31st of this month, I will be doing a series of articles on God, our anchor, called, "We have an anchor". Today, I will be talking about Hebrews 6:13. The verse says, "For when God made a promise to Abraham, since He had no one greater by whom to swear, He swore by Himself," (ESV)

     We live in a world where it's all about me. I want more money. I want to look better. I want to be who I want to be, and no one can tell me otherwise. In the society we live in, we are told to be the greatest and the best. Now, there is nothing wrong with trying hard in life. That is actually very honorable. The thing is, however, that we need to remember that there is only one being that is perfect, or will ever be perfect and that is God. You see, when we live in a world where no one believes in God, then who becomes the highest being? Well, in the mind of the world, humans are the highest being; and because humans are imperfect and selfish, we tend to believe that our opinions are greater than everyone else's. Therefore, every human tends to believe that he or she is greater than everyone. However, there is no one greater than God, who, as we read in Genesis 1:1 created everything. He created you, and me, and that tree over there. He created our brains which created this computer, and He created our bodies so that we can work for our own food.

   John 13:16 says, "Truly, truly, I say to you, a servant is no greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent them.." Say you went to a toy store and got a bunch of legos, and you built a huge city out of them. Who would be greater, you or the lego city? Well, I don't know about you, but I think that I'd be greater than the lego city and all the lego people. What if somehow, you managed to get the legos to come alive. First of all, that is super cool. Second, would you expect those lego people to not believe in your existence, and think that lego city just happened one day, and then go around saying that they were the best thing ever? No! You built them. If it weren't for you, there wouldn't even be a lego city. That's how God feels when we ignore Him, or when we believe that we are as great or even greater than God.

     There is no one more great or powerful than God, and that will never change. Every time we sin, we are showing God that we believe our way is better. Every time we sin, we are putting ourselves above God in our minds. So today, I would like to encourage you all to always be reverent and respectful in our actions, in our dress, and our speech, and to give Glory to God in everything.