Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Reflection

     I know I said I'd do a series on our eternal clothing, but I have had a change of plans. Today, I am going to be talking about reflection. Sunday night, in my dad's sermon, he said, "If people judged the whole church by your actions, what would they think about the church?" We have to be careful about our actions. Because, no matter how hard you try not to be an example, you are. If you are a person, then people will look at you. Either as a good example, or a bad. If you reflect the church, how will people see it? I remember once, I was going home, and I heard my parents talking in the front seat. My dad was telling my mom that, while some of the members were passing out materials, someone made the comment that they "knew we were Christians because we dressed modestly." That right there proves that people do notice these things about us.

     Matthew 5:14, "You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden." We are the light of the world. And if people look at us as an example, then we have to watch our actions. We should be reflecting God. When people see us in public, there should be no doubt in their mind that we are Christians. Matthew 28:19, "Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit," How can we make disciples if we don't let our light shine? In Matthew 5:14 it says that we are a city on a hill. We should always keep that in mind. When we dress, what are we reflecting? Are we reflecting God, or are we reflecting the world? If I were to go around in a pair of short-shorts and bikini top all the time, do you really think that anyone would listen to me about modesty? And I encourage, especially you older girls to dress modestly. Because those little girls, no matter what you say or do, will look up to you. And if you dress modestly, they'll notice, and will want to do the same. I started realizing this a couple weeks ago. I was babysitting this little girl, and she said, "One day, when I'm all gown up, I'll be like you." At that point, I realized that, if little kids look up to me, then I should try to give them something good to look up to.  And then I started realizing just how cute little kids are. :) But really, we have to watch ourselves, because other people are watching ut too. Please keep this in mind next time you get dressed. :)