Wednesday, September 12, 2012

"To God Be the Glory": In Our Speech

     Today's article is the second in the "To God Be the Glory" series. It will be about the subject that all girls know well, gossip. I'm sure you're asking, "what does gossip have to do with modesty?" Well, I was originally going to do an article on giving God the glory in the way that we dress, but there are many other subjects that link to it, such as gossiping, because gossip isn't modest. :)

     Gossip, as my mom puts it, is fun. F-U-N fun. I'm sure you all agree. However, God didn't put us on this earth to have fun now did He? He called us to make disciples, Matthew 28:19 "Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in he name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit."  He called us to make disciples. Now, you tell me something, how is it that we can get people to listen to us, if we only talk bad about others? I mean, I wouldn't want to listen to someone if all they did was gossip. I mean it's fun yes, but it's not right. The sweetest girls I know, are the ones who only talk good about others. I was talking to some of my very close friends, and we accidentally slipped into gossip. And then my very dear friend who I will always admire for this, said, "Now we're gossiping." and, even though I'm sure she was having fun, she changed the subject. That girls, is the attitude we need to have. :)

     One of the things we need to remember before we speak is, "Is it true, is it kind, is it necessary?" What we say about others may be true, but is it kind, and is it necessary? In fact, a lot of the gossip I've heard isn't even true! They just make stuff up to make others look bad. Girls, I hope that's not you. And sometimes, it's hard to not gossip when you're around it, but God always gives us a way out.
1 Corinthians 10:13 "No temptation has overtaken that is not common to man. God is faithful, and He will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation He will also provide a way of escape, that you will be able to endure it." I just absolutely love that verse. All you have to do, is ask for God's help to get out of those situations. He will always help you to not sin. Matthew 7:7 "Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock and it will be open to you."

     Thank you for reading, and please make sure and share your favorite article, and "like" Marvelously Modest on Facebook. :)